04 May 2009

Today's Thoughts

  • It saddens me how little people who have been raised in church know about their movement of Christianity. My own movement, the Stone-Campbell Movement (I refuse to be identified as a Restoration Movement member), has very few young men and women who even know the key figures in our movement. Many don't know why we baptize when other movements don't, why we are a local church only, when other churches have hierarchy, etc. If we fail to understand and contextualize who we are, then we will be doomed to repeat many of the same mistakes of our predecessors.
  • Keeping in mind the previous statement, I have begun to read a very dense history of the Stone Campbell movement by Leroy Garrett. For several years this was THE definitive history of the movement (though now some other great volumes also exist).
  • I really enjoyed translating Greek today. It is always nice to be able to knock out a large chunk of text.
  • The youth will begin studying 1 John during ID next week. I am excited to present another wonderful book of the bible, and study it in light of the probable falsehoods which were growing during the late first century. Also, this means I get to teach about Plato and Aristotle, which is always enjoyable.
  • Fusion is coming to 4-R Savior Student Ministries. We will be fusing biblical truth with cultural application in a way that is absolutely awesome and exciting.
  • The more I read about marriage, the more I realize the awesomeness of the task at hand. We are called as married couple to reflect, imitate, and magnify Christ and his relationship with the church!
  • Camp Wilderness 2009 has a theme! "Wild Kingdom" will explore how God has called us into his Kingdom to live in a radically different from the world around us. July 12-17th!
  • I was looking through some old books that I was given, that at the time I just shoved on my bookshelf. I realize that I have some awesome resources. For example: Ancient History by Myers (copyright 1904), and 1 Corinthians by J. W. McGarvey (copyright 1916). I love this stuff.
  • 1 more week before we take two weeks to talk about biblical marriage with the youth group, and I can't wait.
  • I might just buy some books from the spring sale on christianbook.com I hope my wife will let me.
  • And finally, I am pretty sure that we are just over a month before my younger brother gets married, and that is an exciting prospect.
In Him and for His Kingdom

Matt

3 comments:

Nathan Shedd said...

What are you translating right now?

Brother said...

I spent a couple of hours doing a thorough translation of 1 John, and choosing which key words are important to study. We are going to do 1 John in my ID (In-Depth) Bible Study with the youth group this summer. I'll have about 10 weeks to get through 5 chapters, which is not something that I am particularly good at. It took me 6 months to get through Ephesians in ID.

Duane Chew said...

Curiosity question: Why identify yourself as "Stone-Campbell", but not "Restoration"?

Also, you stink...that's all.