07 August 2009

(Re)Setting Goals

I love to make lists. I do. I love to make to do lists, to list my goals for a week, to list purposes for programs, etc. If it can be done in list form, that is the way I want to do it. Here is the one problem: I often find my lists half-finished. I find my books half read. I find my tasks half accomplished. So today, I am re-setting a few goals, in list form, and hoping that I can get these goals accomplished by Jan 1, 2010.

1. Finish memorizing Philippians.
2. Read W. H. C Frend's "The Rise of Christianity."
3. Get a morning routine (this one is the hardest by far, I can't find a morning system that works for me).
4. Read an entire work by Augustine. I just really don't like him that much (someone out there is gasping right now) but I have started reading his stuff several times, I need to finish something.
5. Clean my office.
6. Translate the four Gospels. I failed at that this summer, big time failure.
7. Read Moby Dick or The Count of Monte Cristo. These are two classic works of fiction that I want to read, but I only think one will realistically get done this year.


On another note. the HS class is starting a study on John this week, which means we are study the Prologue of the gospel. I ask for prayers of discernment as I try to put all the study together into a lesson today.

I want to leave you with a quote from something I read this week, and in this case, it comes from Proverbs 3:19-20

"By wisdom the Lord laid the earth's foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew."

1 comment:

Nathan Shedd said...

If you want to get some different perspectives on John just call me up or shoot me an email. I have my notes that I typed up for our study of John this summer.

You are more than welcome to use my brain.

We are a lot alike with the list thing.

N.