05 November 2009

My Life, Recently

Five things that haven't changed:

1. I am still enjoying my wonderful marriage to my wonderful wife. She brings great joy to me, and a sense of accomplishement that I lack otherwise.

2. I am still a youth minister, and I still love it.

3. I still start reading books, then get bored about halfway through, start reading another book, get halfway through, and then go back to the first book and try to finish it.

4. I still play video games. They relax me when I'm stressed, and they give me a few minutes a day that I don't have to think, which is refreshing.

5. I still spend way too much time day dreaming. I haven't completely figured out the command to only worry about today.


Five things that have changed:

1. My schedule. I used to spend hours every night finishing up lessons and staying up late watching television. We seldom watch TV at night now, and I have found a routine during the day that helps me get my lessons done.

2. My interests within Scripture. Two years ago, I would have cared more about how the 3rd person imperative was used in Scripture, and whether or not John was written in the midst of a Johannine community. Those topics are still important, partially because of poor teaching by many scholars, but I have more interest now in the Bible's discussion of certain topics (such as community, second-coming, and grace). These topics are needs at the local church level, and they are key in Scripture.

3. My attitude about youth ministry. I have decided to focus completely on those who are in my care; to make them disciples. If they become disciples, then evangelism will happen without me coming up with crazy contests and challenges to "bring a friend."

4. My priorities have changed slightly. I no longer think of my schedule as priority, but making sure that I am surrounded by people that can minister to me and I can minister to them.

5. Light bulbs. I changed several off them in the house yesterday. Go me!


Something Goofy I want to tell you about:

This picture


We were taking pictures with the Jr. High for a prayer book we are putting together. Well, when a camera comes out around my young friends, interesting things happen, as you can see.

One Thought That May Be Profound:

The martyrs; own blood, shed in faithfulness to the Lord, turns out to be the blood of the Lamb. When their blood flowed, behold it was the blood of the Lamb. Their sacrifice was united with his--not as though theirs were independently redemptive or added anything to his, but in the sense that, being united, believer and Lord are, in that sense, one: his blood their blood, their blood his. The blood which is the sacrament of obedience is the lord's blood: the wine which is the sacrament of obedience is, in that sense, the Lord's blood." from Charles Francis Digby Moule

Vote For My Next Blog Post:

1. I could blog about the conclusion of John's gospel. The emphasis that John places on the crucifixion, the resurrection, and some other interesting things in the text.

2. I could blog about a song that has prompted a renewed sense of mission in my life. The song, performed by 1000 generations, is called "How Big Small Can Be."

3. I could write an essay type blog about tradition and scholarship in the church, the similarities of mindset, the need for both, and the dangers of over-emphasizing either.

So that's it, until I talk to whoever might possibly read this again, I pray that your life would follow the way of Christ!

1 comment:

Nathan Shedd said...

I am a gospel buff. Therefore, I vote for your thoughts on the conclusion of John's gospel.

tell kylie hello. See you at Christmas.

N.