08 April 2009

Help me pick a book!

I say this because I am trying to decide on a new fictional book to read. Here is the list of criteria I am using to pick a new fiction book to read:

1. It must not be written about pop-culture. I would prefer to read something set in the Industrial Age or earlier.
2. It must convey some reality about the human condition.
3. It can be any major genre except mystery--I just don't want to read a mystery right now.
4. It must make me think.
5. I would prefer it to be between 200 and 600 pages. I don't want something super short, but I don't want to spend a year reading it either.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

On the other side of my reading list, here are the non-fiction books that I am reading right now.
1. Passing the Torch of Liberty
2. Comeback Churches by Stetzer and Dodson
3. Pushing the Limits: Unleashing the Potential of Student Ministry
4. The Mystery of Marriage by Mike Mason
5. A Betrayal of Innocence by Peters

After this round of non-fiction books, I really want to read something theological. I am thinking that relating to the culture of ancient rome, or maybe something about Reformation/Post-Reformation history. Any suggestions there would be awesome too!

1 comment:

B. D. Goad said...

But what do you mean, not about pop-culture?

Of course, you probably already know one of the authors that I am going to suggest: Ted Dekker. Try Thr3e, or Adam (or the Circle Trilogy if you want Fantasy).

Another author you should look at is Karen Hancock. Check out her book, Arena.

What about something futuristic? I just finished recently Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. That was pretty interesting, and conveyed some interesting insights about the human condition.

Ok, those are some of my suggestions. If you have any more criteria, let me know.

Brian