04 March 2009

Lamentations

I have always been kinda strange, and that pervades every part of my life. Even when it comes to some of my favorite parts of Scripture, I am somewhat different from the typical mold. I'll give you a few examples before I come to my point:

1. I am more interested in looking at the "bad" kings of Israel and Judah than I am looking at the life of David.
2. During personal devotional time, I find myself studying OT far more often than NT.
3. I don't ignore Revelation, I use if far more often than most (and I don't use it to tell people the world is ending in a couple years because of some shocking sign that has been hidden until now!)

So, now that you know I'm slightly strange, let me explain why that matters. The OT book of Lamentations is one of my favorite books to read. I have been fascinated with it for years. Here is a book that many Christians didn't know existed, many who did know of it still couldn't find it in their Bible, and those that know where it is read it about as often as I read the obituaries in the newspaper (I stick the the comics typically); yet I love this book.

Here are a couple reasons that Lamentations is wonderful:
1. It is inspired by God.
2. It is dreadfully honest. The author is completely frank with what sin has done to him. He does not blame anyone outside of the guilty party, which includes himself. He and the rest of the nation had been judged, and they are done trying to justify their actions. This is exactly how sin will be uncovered in the final judgement--no more hiding, no more excuses.
3. There is still hope in the midst of utter despair.

For this last point, I want to quote just a couple verses from chapter 3:19-26

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for this compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

Even in the midst of our sinfulness--it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

2 comments:

Nathan Shedd said...

Reason # 4 for the wonderfullness of Lamentations.

4. Excellent Poetry

Nathan Shedd said...

Seriously though, check out the literary form, especially within the first four chapters.

Remember: Form aids/deepens content and message.

I love Biblical Poetry